Leaves And Holidays Facts In India
Leaves And Holidays Facts In India
Employees in most companies are allowed to take leave for various genuine and authentic reasons. These are known as benefits because they still get paid while on a time off. Otherwise the normal propaganda is “No Work, No Pay”.
Various employment laws are present in the country that helps companies decide the different parameters of leave like category or types, eligibility, duration etc. Most of the organization tends to categorize them as casual leave, sick leave, earned leave, maternity leave, special leaves, loss of pay leave, compensatory leave and more.
However, there are normally three types of leaves followed in India viz. earned leave, sick leave and casual leave. This article is dedicated to the various facts and trivia related to leaves and holidays in India. Read on for more insight:
Numbers of leaves applicable in a company
Different states in India have different leave entitlement and policies. They are normally mentioned in the terms and condition section of the company. Do not forget to check those before finalizing on any agreement.
Sick leave on submission of medical certificate
On a general note, it is not mandatory for an employer to accept a sick leave even if it is paired with a medical certificate if he is not satisfied by the documents.
However, if the medical certificate is issued by a competent medical practitioner of the country he should consider it as genuine.
Leave and employee right
Practically speaking, leave cannot be qualified as the right of an employee. In India, leave is rewarded on three grounds:
- Casual leave for urgent and unseen matters like mandatory parent-teacher meeting in school
- Sick leave in case of illness
- Privilege leaves for travel, vacation etc.
However, these leaves are not mandatory. An employer can easily refuse the leave application, if not satisfied with the reason of leave.
Mass casual leave by employees
First of all, the root of the leave is considered. If the mass leave won’t hamper the work of the organization, such leaves can be allowed. But in case, it turns out to be intentional leave to bring loss to the organization, the employer may easily reject it. And if required, take disciplinary actions too.
Calculation of holidays and weekly off
Holidays are normally excluded off the leaves. For example if an employee is on leave from Saturday till Monday, leave will be counted for two days, Sunday being a holiday.
Medical certificate for one day sick leave
Most companies ask for medical certificate only if the employee is on sick leave for more than 3 days. An employee need not produce certificate just for one day leave.
Joining leaves together
According to Delhi Industrial Establishments (National and Festival Holidays and Casual and Sick Leave) Rule 1973, casual leave are not supposed to be joint with any other leaves.
However, most companies do join Sick Leave and Privilege leave together.
Compensation policy of national holiday, holiday and weekly off
In case of National Holidays or other state holidays, compensatory off is given within 90 days of the holiday along with one day average daily wage.
In case of weekly off, employees are normally given 3 days off before or after the weekly off. This way they need not work for more than 10 consecutive days without any weekly off.
Leave in notice period
Employee reserves every right to take leave during notice period. This law has been passed by the Delhi High court in support of the employees.
Encashment of leave
Leave encashment is given in accordance to the average daily wage of employee. He can take the benefit of the same while quitting services, superannuation, discharge, dismissal or death. Some companies pay leave encashment on basic and DA too.
Leave policies of companies
Most companies reward employees with 27 days of leave in a year. They are mainly categorized as:
- Casual Leave: It is allowed for a maximum of 6 days. However no such leaves are allowed without prior permission.
- Sick Leave: It is also allowed for a maximum of 6 days. However, most companies do not advocate sick leave carry-forwards.
- Earned Leave/ Privilege Leave: It is allowed for a maximum of 15 days during situations like Child Birth, Self marriage, Accidental Hospitalization, Death in Immediate Family and related emergencies.
These are some of the leave and holidays advantages witnessed by Indian employees. If you feel we have left out on something important, please feel to leave us your comments.
Announcement Letter Format For Half Day Leave For Staffs
Sometimes you have an important work to do and for that you need to take some hours off from work or your classes.
Search Sample Formats:
- leave compensation letter
- 47 Contact us Semi trailer CO LTD Suppliers mail
- casual leave application for medical check up
- compensatory leave avail letter format
- joining letter after sickness leave
- huw to write for compensatory leave
- format of compan satory leave for an employee
- compensatory leave format
- COMPENSATORY CASUAL LEAVE (Compensatory Rest)Group C & D (excluding supervisors In lieu of working Sunday / Holidays Must be availed within 30 days of working Those who are not entitled for CRs are eligible for conveyance charges
- compensantory leave letter