Important Skills to Concentrate on If You Wish to Become a Good and Efficient Office Assistant
People generally think that becoming an office assistant is no tough thing as you don’t need to have some specific educational qualification and all you need to do is follow the instructions given by your boss. But the reality is way too different. You need to know that to be an efficient and smart office assistant; you need to possess lots of skills so that you can manage your work without errors. Some of these skills have been mentioned in the article below and others you can only learn once you are in the real setting, handling the real stuff. So, to be really good at it, you need experience which can really help you impress your employer.
For the post of office assistant, you don’t need any specific educational qualification. But there are various skills that you are required to possess to make your daily working easier and more rewarding. Let us have a look at some of these skills which will help you have a rocking performance at job.
Skills Required by an Office Assistant
- Technical Skills: To be able to work with greater efficiency using the latest technology. He needs to be technology friendly person to be able to absorb the recent trends in technology when it comes to managing work. He should be able to use internet and various other digital equipments for effective working.
- Skills to Help: He should be prompt at helping people. Be there to support the top management with assistance required by them. Be ready to supervise the juniors to ensure everything goes right.
- Skills to Multitask: He should be able to do many things at the same time. Receiving the phone call while working on the computer and simultaneously doing some third task. He really needs to know how to handle different tasks with efficiency.
- Filing and Record Keeping: He should know how to manage and maintain different files and records. Update them from time to time and keep them fresh, ready to use.
- Calendar Maintenance: He should know how to manage the calendar for different employees to ensure that there is no work loss in case of absence of an employee and work doesn’t get held up.
- Communication Skills: He should know how to maintain smooth relationships between employee and the client. He should be very pleasant at handling different kinds of phone calls, transferring them and taking their messages. He should also know how to conduct public communications.
- Skills to Coordinate: Should be smart at establishing coordination between different things happening in the office.
- Data Entry Skills: He should be quick and correct with data entry on the system. He should know how to use computer to effectively accomplish the task. He should be able to scan the documents, store them at the right place on the system, send mails to clients and read their responses to the employer along with replying them at the earliest.
- Mail Delivery and Screening: Should be able to send mails to clients and keep a track of their delivery.
- Skills to Maintain Confidentiality: It is important for him to know how to maintain confidentiality on certain procedures and deals.
All these skills make you a good and efficient office assistant. To be able to have a smooth working, you really need to work hard on strengthening each of these skills.