Employee Leave Policy Overview Purpose Scope Policy
The intent of this Leave policy is to inform employees about their requirements regarding annual leave.
PURPOSE OF LEAVE
Leave is granted to employees with the good intension of providing rest, recuperation of health and for fulfilling social obligations. This provides for a healthy and efficient staff for the company.
LEAVE YEAR AND APPLICABILITY
q Leave is not a matter of right.
q Sanctioning of leave is at Management discretion based on exigencies of business or seriousness of the case.
q Leave year is from 1st April to 31st March.
q Eligible leave is credited to the employees on the 1st of April every year.
q The different types of leaves given under the policy are:
- Casual Leave (CL)
- Sick Leave (SL)
- Earned/Privilege Leave (EL/PL)
- Leave without Pay (LWP)
q The Leave policy is applicable for all permanent staff of the company.
q Employees who are appointed during the course of the year shall be entitled to the above leaves on pro-rate basis.
q Employees whose date of joining service falls between 1st to the 15th of a month are entitled to get the leave credit for that month.
q Employees whose date of joining service falls between 16th to the end of the month are not entitled for the leave credit for that month.
q If an employee is relieved on any day between 1st to 15th of a month, then he / she is not entitled for leaves due for that month.
q If an employee happens to leave on any day between 16th to the end of the month then he / she is entitled for leaves due for that month.
q Clubbing of different types of leave is not possible.
All permanent staff.
Casual leave is calculated for a period of one year (April to March).
- 07 days of Casual Leave in a Financial year.
- CL upto a maximum of 3 days in a row can be taken.
- If CL extends beyond 3 days, then the excess days taken will be deducted from SL if available otherwise those days will be treated under LWP.
- It is upto the Management’s discretion to sanction more than 2 days of CL at a stretch.
- National / Festival / Declared / weekly off days can be prefixed and / or suffixed to CL.
- Intervening National / Festival / Declared holidays will NOT be counted as part of the leave.
- Half day of CL can be taken as needed.
- Balanced CL remaining unutilized as on 31st March will lapse.
- When leave is taken without prior sanction (under certain unavoidable circumstances), the absence should be notified to their respective managers on the same day either through phone / email.
All permanent staff.
Sick leave is calculated for a period of one year (April to March).
1 07 days of Sick Leave in a Financial year.
2 SL upto a maximum of 3 days in a row can be taken without Medical Certificates.
3 If SL extends beyond 3 days, then the excess days taken a Medical Fitness Certificate have to be produced to the HR.
4 It is upto the Management’s discretion to sanction more than 3 days of SL at a stretch.
5 National / Festival / Declared / weekly off days can be prefixed and / or suffixed to SL.
6 Intervening National / Festival / Declared holidays will NOT be counted as part of the leave.
7 Balanced SL remaining unutilized as on 31st March will lapse.
8 When leave is taken without prior sanction (under certain unavoidable circumstances), the absence should be notified to their respective managers on the same day either through phone / email.
EARNED/PRIVELEGE LEAVE (EL/PL)
- All permanent staff.
- EL/PL is calculated for the days worked during the previous calendar year.
- 21 days of PL/EL in a Financial year.
- EL/PL will be credited to permanent staff only on completion of one year of service with the company.
- The days served under probation will be taken into account for EL/PL eligibility.
- EL/PL can be availed only on prior approval.
- National / declared / festival / weekly off days can be either prefixed or suffixed to EL/PL.
- Intervening National / declared / festival / weekly off days will BE counted as part of the leave.
- Half day of EL/PL cannot be taken.
- Balanced EL/PL remaining unutilized as on 31st March can be carried forwarded to the next year.
- EL/PL can be accumulated for a maximum of 60 days.
- Accumulated EL/PL over and above 60 days can be encashed at the rate of last gross pay drawn on the final settlement in case of resignation / retirement / termination.
- Any absence of more than the number of PL/EL sanctioned will be treated as leave without pay, unless given valid reasons to the management.
An employee should have worked 20 days to avail 1 day of EL/PL
LEAVE WITHOUT PAY (LWP)
- LWP can be applied by an employee when no other leave is available.
- During the period of LWP, the employee is not entitled for any pay or allowance.
- A maximum of 3 months of LWP can be availed on the approval of the management.
- If the employee fails to report to duty on the specified date after the sanctioned LWP, it is deemed that the employee has abandoned his service with the company on his own accord.
- LWP can be implicated on disciplinary grounds with regard to attendance by the management regardless to the availability of the other types of leave.
- LWP days will not be taken for EL/PL eligibility.
- Half day of CL can be availed as per the respective leave norms.
- The half day leave thus availed should be either the first four hours of the work day or last four hours of the work day.
HALF DAY LEAVE
- If an employee is required to work on any important assignment on a National / Festival / Declared / weekly off days, he is eligible for Compensatory off on any other working day.
- Official approval is required from the department head / management to work on such National / Festival / Declared / weekly off days. No compensatory offs will be entertained when worked on these days without proper approval.
- The compensatory off has to be availed within a period of one months from the date worked.
- Compensatory off when not availed within the stipulated time period will lapse.
- Only two days of compensatory offs can be combined and availed at a stretch.
LEAVE SETTLEMENT DURING RESIGNATION / RETIREMENT / TERMINATION
If an employee to be relieved has availed more number of CL against the number of months he has worked, then the excess CL will be deducted during his final settlement.
PL/EL for the days worked till the employee’s date of relieving will be calculated and paid during the final settlement, provided he / she fulfils PL/EL eligibility criteria.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLYING LEAVE
The available leave balance is to be checked by the employee with the HR department and the leave to be applied by duly filing up the leave application form available in the HR department. The application has to be forwarded by the employee to their department head for approval. The department head is authorized to either grant or disapprove the leave on valid grounds. The signed leave application has to be submitted back to the HR department for recordings and subsequent processing.
Leave Card: Leave card is to be maintained for each employee in the format specified. On receiving the leave application from the employee the available balance is to be checked and necessary entries to be updated.
CANCELLATION OF LEAVE
- The department head can also cancel the once sanctioned leave on situational / need basis. If an employee proceeds to avail the cancelled leave then those days will be treated as absence from duty and the rules pertaining to absence from duty will be applied.
EXTENSION OF LEAVE
- As it is necessary to get prior approval for leave so it is also for extension of leave. The employee has to apply to his/her department head for extension of leave well in advance and get it sanctioned to avail them. In case an employee overstays the unsanctioned leave availed will be treated as absence from duty.
ABSENCE FROM DUTY
1. When an employee takes off from duty without prior leave approval or proper intimation under certain unavoidable circumstances, then those day/days will be treated as absence from duty.
- The days of absence will be treated under Loss of Pay.
- The employee has to report to his / her department head on rejoining duty from absence and provide valid reasons for absence before taking up work again.
- If an employee is absent from duty continuously for more than 7 days (including any National / Festival / Declared / weekly off days which may fall in-between), an official correspondence from the HR department will be sent to him asking to report to duty and to provide explanation for his absence.
- Based on the enquiry any action deemed fit would be taken by the management.
- If there is no response from the employee within the stipulated time mentioned in official correspondence, it would be assumed that the employee has withdrawn his service from the company on his own accord and recorded accordingly.
Announcement Letter Format For Half Day Leave For Staffs
Sometimes you have an important work to do and for that you need to take some hours off from work or your classes.
Search Sample Formats:
- purpose of a leave policy
- can employee accrued the el if not worked for 20 days in a month as per factory act1948
- purpose of leave policy
- purpose of employee leave
- purpose of a company leave policy
- leave policy purpose
- examples of purpose of sick leave
- Employee Policy scope
- duly sanctioned LWP period counted for service benefits
- Purpose of policy letter