The word Counselling is a very broad frame of reference and can mean anything from informal advice giving to the most complex interactions that is between patients and clinicians and barristers and litigants. Its basic meaning revolves around the business of helping something so common that almost everyone would have acted as a counselor at sometime in ones life.
So Always hold the counseling session in a private place where no one else can hear. Encourage the client to ask more questions and make the counseling as interactive session, so that the clients can have more involvement and the counseling will have more impact in the minds of the clients.
Purpose of Counselling
1. Information Giving : In this respect counselling is like one to one teaching, some problems can be solved simply by providing facts or information.
2. Giving Support : Some problems are so intractable that lending emotional support and warmth can help individuals who feel helpless.
3. Promoting Insight : Counselling is to assist people in the process of self discovery. A clearer self awareness is the key to solution of many problems.
4. Conflict Resolution : Counselling can help people to resolve their conflicts in interpersonal and intrapersonal situations.
5. Decision Making : Counselling is helping people to make decisions which they are finding difficult to reach. Counselling may help the person to weigh pros and cons and broaden his perspective of the problem.
6. Problem Solving : The aim of counseling is to help individuals to systematically analyse difficulties, find solutions to them and act accordingly.
Attributes of effective Helpers
1. Genuineness : Helper should have genuine concern of helping the other person.
2. Personal Warmth : The focus should be on warm interpersonal interactions.
3. Client Respect : Show positive regard to the client.
4. Sensitivity : To Human Relations
5. Empathy : To perceive the clients problem from his perspective.