UAN is the 12 digit Universal Account Number that is allotted to all the employees who are making any kind of contribution to EPF or Employee Provident Fund. The idea behind introducing UAN number is to take the EPF services the online platform and therefore, make the whole process much more user-friendly. The important point to note here is that the UAN number doesn’t change for the employee and remains same throughout the lifetime.
In this post, we have included all the important details about UAN that one needs to know.
How to Know Your Universal Account Number (UAN)?
In order to find out your UAN number, here are two ways:
- Check it with employer: If it is your very first job then once you start contributing towards EPF, UAN number will be notified to you by your employer. Mostly, companies have it printed on your salary slip once the deductions towards your PF start taking place.
- Check it on UAN portal: In order to check your UAN number, you have to visit the website and or simply click on the link shared below: www.unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface
Just click on this link and select “Know Your UAN status”. Next, you will be required to fill in your basic details and follow the step-by-step procedure.
Need of Universal Account Number (UAN)
- Earlier an employee was allotted different member IDs by different employers for each PF account when a salaried individual made contribution towards EPF.
- On October 1st, 2014, PM Narendra Modi made the whole process a lot simpler by bringing down all the PF accounts under one number.
- Having just one UAN number makes it much more sorted and convenient to manage your EPF.
Documents Required For Generating UAN
Here is the list of documents that are required for generating UAN from anywhere:
- Bank account details that include your bank account number, branch name and IFSC code
- ID proof that can include any of the following- Driving license, Aadhaar card, Voter ID, Passport etc.
- Address Proof which can be in any of the ID proofs mentioned above or your ration card.
- ECIS card, in case you already have an account.
- Aadhaar card and PAN card.
Benefits of Universal Account Number (UAN)
Here are some of the advantages associated with UAN. They are:
- You can link all your previous PF accounts under one UAN number.
- You can download updated EPF passbook.
- You can make changes in your personal contact details.
- You can conveniently upload KYC data.
- You can have your UAN login, EPFO login on UAN activation.
- You can also apply for online transfer of PF.
Allotment of UAN For New Employee
- UAN number is allotted by EPFO i.e. Employment Provident Fund Organization.
- It is allotted when the employer submits the request for UAN number for an employee.
- Details of UAN ae provided to the employer
- Employer is required to communicate the UAN along with member ID to the particular employee.