Sick leave policy
1. Employee sick leave
Employees shall be allowed to use their accrued sick leave to take time off from work for the following reasons:
• If an employee has, or has been exposed to, a contagious disease such that his or her presence on the job might jeopardize the health of others; and
• If an employee’s medically-related appointment(s) cannot be scheduled during his or her non-work hours.
• If medically necessary, during an employee’s temporary disability from performing his or her duties, including disability related to pregnancy or childbirth.
2. Family sick leave
Employees also shall be allowed to use their accrued sick leave to take time off from work for the illness or death of an immediate family member.
a. Immediate family
An employee’s immediate family shall be considered the employee’s:
• Parents, including step-parents;
• Children, including step-children and foster children;
• Siblings, including step-siblings; and
• Any relative, either by blood or marriage, living in the employee’s household.
b. Limit on amount of family sick leave
The maximum amount of family sick leave that an employee may use is:
• 36 work hours for any one illness, injury or death; and
• 72 total work hours in a calendar year.
3. Process of sick leave
An employee who wishes to use sick leave must comply with a management request for verification of the need to use sick leave.
An employee’s use of paid sick leave may be denied if the employee fails to comply with a management request for verification of the need for sick leave.
Forms of verification include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Certification from the employee’s physician that the employee currently has or has been exposed to a contagious disease such that his or her presence on the job might jeopardize the health of others;
• Evidence that the employee has a medical appointment that could not have been scheduled during the employee’s non-work hours.
• Certification from the employee’s treating physician that the employee is temporarily disabled from work.